GETTING STARTED WITH JESUS
The word “Gospel” means “Good News”.
The Gospel is the good news of salvation through Jesus.
Here are some Bible verses to summarize the Gospel:
John 3:16: “God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
Romans 3:23: “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
Romans 6:23: The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Romans 5:8: “God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
Romans 10: “If you confess with your mouth ‘Jesus is Lord’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.”
Here are some statements to summarize the Gospel:
- God loves us and created us to share his life and likeness.
- Man is sinful and separated from God by his sin.
- God took on human flesh in Jesus to pay for our sin through death so we can share his life.
- We must repent of our sin and receive him by faith as our Savior and Lord.
Are you truly repentant of your sin? Would you like to be forgiven and saved through faith in Jesus?
You can ask him into your heart and life right now with a simple heartfelt prayer like this:
“Dear God, I admit that I am a sinner and separated from you. I repent of my sin. I ask you to forgive me based on the sacrifice of Jesus as my substitute. Please cleanse me, come into my heart and life, and make me part of your family. Amen.”
If you prayed sincerely from the heart, the Bible promises that God heard your prayer and welcomed you into his forever family. (John 1:12: “To all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.”) You can thank him right now! Pray again to say “thank you” and to ask him to help you grow in your new found faith and life.
Now the Christian adventure begins! Here are some steps to help you grow in your faith:
- Get a Bible and start reading daily. (The Gospel of John is a great place to start.)
- Pray daily (and remember that you can pray any time because Jesus is always with you!)
- Find a local church and get involved in worship, fellowship, and service.
- Find some Christian friends to meet with regularly for learning, encouragement, and prayer.